Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Seasons


Three or four years ago we planted a couple of maple trees in our yard. I’ve noticed that each year these trees are the first to hint at the coming of fall. They begin early to show the most vibrant colors of any trees in the neighborhood. Day by day, the green leaves show shades of yellow, then orange and finally settling into a deep fiery red. For weeks I’ve enjoyed this almost inspirational display each morning as I open the garage door and step outside. But yesterday as the door went up I immediately noticed that both trees were completely bare.

I was shocked to see that overnight they had changed so dramatically – so completely, so quickly. And this final step of transformation seemed to come without warning. But then I began to understand that all the weeks of changing colors were preparation for this “sudden” & total transformation. And I think because of that preparation the change came gently – it seemed graceful & not harsh. There had been no storm, no pouring rain or high winds overnight, but the natural process that comes with the changing of the season had simply run its course.

As I walk through the dramatic changes coming in my own life may I begin early and prepare well – may I inspire others in the process. May the changes be graceful, gentle – natural, and may I not loose sight that spring always follows winter.

1 comment:

Susan Minatrea said...

I'm glad there were "two" of those trees that went through that dramatic change together and that their process was the same...I hope I begin early and prepare well and inspire others...You certainly have.